Friday 7 February 2014

My Very Own Words of Wisdom

As part of my story which I recently shared over at the blog Pouting In Heels, I went on to share my very own words of wisdom which I wanted to share with you here also.

I never knew I had wisdom, but when asked to reflect on my experiences I began to start to see the lessons I had learnt. I also began to understand it is from sharing our experiences that we learn from others and grow. So many people have opened up and shared their wisdom with me, here's mine to share with you:

Photo - Me sat last year thinking looking out over Lake Windermere

·          Be kind to yourself and take care of your body. Respect it – think nutrition and allow yourself to rest

·          Don’t judge others – remember the majority of disabilities we are unable to see and it’s not a competition.  I remember following surgery asking a woman working in a shop to pass me a newspaper from the bottom shelf.  She tutted and I felt obliged to justify myself why I had asked. She responded ‘well you think you’ve got a bad back, mine is terrible’. I just burst into tears
  
·          Grief is not only when someone dies, it relates to ‘loss’ – in my case the loss of my old life

  • Remember mental health is exactly that – mental health. If you are offered help it does not mean you are weak, it simply means that your mind is poorly – just like other parts of your body get ill.. I have learnt just how powerful the human mind is.

·          Tablets have a time, a place and usually side-effects. Of course take if you really need them, but for me I’ve had enough of taking pain killers, though of course so do if I need them. I’ve gone onto find that acupuncture usually works for me, as does keeping stress at bay and moving – going for a walk is the best medicine

 Photo - Getting outside really can be the best medicine

·          Remember you don’t see people on their worst days as they are usually unable to leave the house!

·          Try not to moan about work – trust me work gives a person a sense of purpose, something to get up for in the morning. It may sound good the thought of not working but the reality is very different

·          When the chips are down you really learn who your true friends are, and in my case that I have the most amazing husband. We really have tried and tested the vows “in sickness and in health”

My key phrases throughout have been and remain ‘Everything happens for a reason’ and ‘Things always work out in the end’ – I truly believe this.

What are your words of wisdom? What lessons have you learnt from your experiences?

Until next time

Emma x



No comments:

Post a Comment